Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Unloading the Clutter

I started going through stuff today to get rid of all the clutter in my house (and my life). My chosen starting point was the kitchen cabinets. After all, I reasoned, I haven't had a kitchen that long and despite my love of cooking I don't buy much, so I shouldn't have all the doohickies and whatchmacallits everyone else does. But I made the decison that I would throw out at least one thing from every drawer and cabinet anyway. And a good thing to -to my surprise I discovered my cabinets to be chock full of gadgets and thingabobs, many of whom I couldn't even identify. I don't even remember buying have that stuff. Then again, come to think of it, I probably didn't. When I got my first place, people gave me all kinds of stuff as housewarming presents. I think a lot of that probably came from that. I saw it, had no idea what it was, and put it in a drawer in case I needed it later. Well, I obviously haven't needed it and I'm getting rid of it. The only things I'm keeping out of that mess that I don't use on a regular basis are one of the ice cream scoops, a the cat food can lids (so I won't have to waste a can, because my babies don't eat a full can at a sitting) and the cookie cutters. I use the cat can lids once a month, and while I only need the cookie cutters a couple of times a year, I do use them. It's easier, cheaper, and better for the environment to have one good set lying around than to rebuy them every Thanksgiving. I haven't even finished the kitchen yet, and I have half a box full of stuff to toss!
The nice thing about it is, that once you throw one thing out, it becomes easier to toss the next thing. And the next and the next. It feels good to have that stuff out of my hair and my life. I'll be even happier when I've finished entirely.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

We decluttered about 3 years ago. It's so freeing. I still get a little panicky when I pull up at the Goodwill drop off. However, as soon as I drive away, I feel elated.

Great Job decluttering!

5/18/2006 11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home