Friday, May 04, 2007

I'm back

My apologies for having gone so long without a new post. I got caught up in the last few weeks of school. Between 20 page term papers, finals, and projects, I haven’t had much spare time for anything, much less for blogging. I have been working on my garden (I have too, if I intend to have anything to eat from it!) and here is what I have growing right now:
3 kinds of tomatoes, bell peppers, garlic, onions, carrots, radishes, pole beans, potatoes, oregano, basil, calendulas, nasturtiums, lemon cucumbers, zucchini, two types of lettuce, crookneck squash, okra, two kinds of spinach, swiss chard, melons, and sweet potatoes.
I’ll also be planting corn, winter squash, pumpkins, and watermelons in the next few weeks. That’s just in the vegetable garden of course –I also have lots of flowers. The five Roma tomato plants, which were purchased, all ready have flowers on them –so I should have tomatoes soon! My raspberry bushes are also flowering, something I didn’t expect this year. All the blackberries died, unfortunately, and because of that and some other issues, I won’t be ordering from Gurney’s again. I hope to have a big enough harvest to practice canning.
In other news, NPR has been doing a special on climate change. They’re going to be doing this for the next year, and thus far it has been fascinating. Here’s something I heard today about where people tend to emit the most CO2: 50% tends to come from heating and cooling your home, 25% tends to come from driving, and 25% tends to come from lights, refrigeration, food, etc. What this means in practice is that you can reduce your CO2 the most by turning off the AC and staying home more.
That’s all for now –I’ll write a bigger post tomorrow.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home