Saturday, August 02, 2008

Happy Lammas!

I'm still working on the post I promised, but I don't want to let the blog die while I do so.



Today (or yesterday, depending on which calendar you're using) is Lammas. For those not familiar with Pagan holidays, Lammas is the festival of first harvest. It occurs midway between the Summer Solstice and the Autumnal Equinox. This is the time of the year when the first of the harvest's bounty is coming in. In the ancient cultures of Europe Lammas was celebrated with large festivals and a general holiday.



In honor of the holiday I made a rather elaborate meal tonight: rotini with garlic, onions, two types of peppers (bell and sweet bannana), eggplant and squash in homemade pesto sauce. I had corn on the cob as a side dish and blueberries for dessert. Every bit of this meal with the exception of the pasta, the oil, the pine nuts and the butter for the corn came from either my garden, the farmer's market, or a pick-ur-own farm. And the pine nuts were a gift from a friend. (Hey, you think I'm going to pay $9 bucks for a small bag of nuts? Not hardly.)



A local meal for a celebration of the local harvest.

Happy Lammas!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home