Monday, May 22, 2006

Two Very Difficult Decisions

The first was easier but the second was longer in coming.

I’m President of a local non-profit. It’s a volunteer position and a lot of work. I started out as Vice-President a few years ago. They needed someone badly and I couldn’t say no. But I didn’t want the position and didn’t enjoy it. Then I got promoted to President when the old one retired. It’s even more work and even less enjoyable. Well I’m going back to school now. I can’t work full time, go to school, and do all the volunteer activities I’ve been involved in. It’s just not possible. Especially since I’m committed to simplifying my life now. That one is the biggest time commitment and the one I enjoy the least. Frankly, if I am going to be doing volunteer work, I would much rather be working for my church or help the homeless. So I’m not going to renew my term when the elections come up in a couple of weeks. The board isn’t going to like it, but I’ve made up my mind in the matter. It just won’t be easy to resign.

The second was the hard one. I spent seven years in college to get my degree and a lot more work to get where I am now. And I’ve hated every minute of each job I’ve had. I’m good at what I do but I have no passion for and it drains all the energy and the life from me. That’s why I’m going back to school. My plan has been to keep this job until I finish and am ready to look for a new position. But that is not going to be possible. What I’m working on is morally reprehensible to my personal sense of ethics, and they won’t switch me to another project. The only other jobs in my current field are in similar endeavors. I almost lost my mind when I saw pics of a demonstration of this project on Friday. So I’m going to quit. I’ll work at Kinko’s or MacDonald’s if I have to. It’s not worth my sanity –or my soul.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow!
You are so brave.
Way to stand up for your beliefs.

I left a volunteer president job a couple years ago in the middle of my term because I just couldn't deal with all the "politics" between members. I never regret it even though it left them scrambling. I'm still a member and learned a lot from the experience.

5/22/2006 12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home