Thursday, May 17, 2007

Another Piece of Lawn Done Gone

Yesterday after the rain stopped, I went outside, took up my trusty shovel, and began to dig up a patch of lawn. I’ve been doing this every time it rains here lately, while the ground is nice and soft and the grass is somewhat easier to dig. My goal is to dig up a patch of lawn after every rain and plant something until I no longer have any lawn left. All ready I’ve dug forty of fifty square feet of lawn. (And that’s not counting what I seeded with wildflowers.) I don’t just do this willy nilly. I decide in advance where I’m going to dig after the next rain and what I’m going to plant there. Last time I planted some melons and basil. This time I transplanted some herbs –lemon balm, greek oregano, thyme, pineapple sage, and rosemary –and some flowers as well. Hopefully, if I can keep this up, in a year or so I won’t have much of a lawn to speak of. My lawn-worshipping neighbors will, of course, be absolutely horrified. ;-)
In the meantime, I’m slowly sketching out and planning the front garden. I am also of course, working on what I got. I mulched all the beds again today (especially the potatoes) and planted some more cherry tomatoes. I also potted my two new lavender plants. I’ve also vacuumed and picked up the house, did laundry, started the dishes, and started cleaning the much reviled bathroom. I’ve had quite a day –and it’s not over yet! Sharon and Miranda have finally posted the “rules” for the 90% reduction in emissions over on Miranda’s blog (see link on mine to Simple Reduce). In a few days I’ll set down and calculate my baseline and post it here.
How is the coffee reduction going? Not bad, actually. I get a little grumpy in the morning without my usual two cups. It’ll be even worse when I stop drinking it at all. But I’m going to stick with it. This is the best thing to do for the planet. (And it won’t hurt my pocketbook any, either.)

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
I read your cat blog, and I don't know if this will help you, but it helped me. We have 2 cats. One started peeing outside the litter box. First our vet checked for infection, but there was none. Then he said I should get one more litter box than the number of cats in my house, and fill each one with a different type of kitty litter. There is some pyschological thing behind this, but it worked. 2 cats, 3 litter boxes with each having a different litter, and no problems for 4 years.
I would love to see pictures of your yard it you can post them.

5/19/2007 5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home