Thursday, June 21, 2007

First Harvest

I made my first real harvest from the garden yesterday. It wasn’t much, but it was something! A few potatoes, all the garlic, three tomatoes, and a few green beans. Most of the making of a good soup right there –all local, all organic. And all from just outside my door.
Needless to say, the tomatoes are all ready gone. ;-) I can’t wait for more to ripen.
I am cooking soup as we speak. It’s simmering in the crockpot. I used the ingredients harvested from the garden (except for the tomatoes) And today is going to be my baking day –fresh, homemade bread, cornbread, and muffins. The bread is all ready rising on the stove. I’m trying to time everything so that the cornbread is done at the same time as the soup.
I just can not get over how much better home grown produce taste. I ate the first tomato yesterday fresh off the vine, still warm from the sun. It was a preview of heaven. The taste just exploded in my mouth. In the back of my head I could hear John Denver singing “Homegrown Tomatoes”. I can’t speak for others, but I don’t need the latest electronic gizmos or doodads or fancy trips to make me happy. I like the simple pleasures in life. Like the taste of the season’s first homegrown tomato.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home