Monday, January 28, 2008

Plans and Dreams

So, I’ve been thinking of my hopes and dreams for the future. Despite all the nastiness in the world, despite all the problems coming down the pike, I still have dreams. I know that history has no respect for people’s personal hopes and dreams, but that hardly matters. As Wilde said, “A man’s reach should exceed his grasp, or what’s a heaven for?” So, what am I planning to do down the line?

I want a small piece of land. Not too big; between 1 and 5 acres. I want it to be near a small town, but unrestricted so I can have chickens. I want a small house; nothing big, just a modest dwelling. I will probably have to build it myself since I’ll never be able to afford land and house. “Never” is a big word, but at least not for 20-30 years. I can buy an acre of land for $13,000 in the country around here and build a small (about 600 sq ft) straw-bale house for about$15k, doing all but the specialized work myself with friends. Not pocket change, but not out of reach in the next ten years.

When I get this land, I intend to permaculture it –mostly a forest garden, with a small pond, and some traditional garden space. (I have to have my flowers and tomatoes, after all.) What else do I want on this place? Someone to share it with of course. Whether or not that will happen is even less certain than if I can get my land. Love is hard to find in any time, but in this time especially hard. And especially for an odd, non-mainstream lesbian living in the South. Know anyone you can set me up with? I also want to have kids (well, one), and I will probably do that with or without a partner.

Should this vision of the future come to pass, what shall I call my little farm? Why, Paradise, of course. To me it would be.

1 Comments:

Blogger JacquiG said...

Your description of your dream property sounds very much like mine. More than 5 acres would be too much to handle. I haven't priced land around here. Not being so young anymore, building our own home wouldn't be on the cards for us. I'm lucky, though, in that I've found the one to share my dream with, and I married him this past summer!

I hope your dreams come true.

1/31/2008 12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home