Sunday, November 23, 2008

Brrr...

Winter has arrived and with a vengeance. Last year I was picking tomatoes up until the 7th of January –granted, these were from the plants that were up against the south side of my house, but still. Not this year. We had a record low Friday night and it has been in the twenties or lower for the past five nights and that is expected to continue for the next few days. Tomorrow we are going to have a lot of rain and then it will freeze again in the night which means…ice. A bit, at least.

My winter garden does not like this cold. The mustards and collards are fine, but I may have lost the lettuce and the chard. Why is the chard such a big deal? This chard I grow is tough –incredibly so. It takes heat, cold, drought, flooding rain, and everything in between. But it might not have been able to withstand this long cold snap. I’m waiting to see if it comes back before I make any judgments.

In broader economic news, I was watching the news at work yesterday morning and this two-bit pinhead of an economic pundit comes and starts talking about how people need to pare down their budgets for the tough times (true) but then says, basically, it’s going to be survival of the fittest and if you can’t make it, tough. Go crawl off in a corner somewhere and die. I am so sick of that attitude. It is the worst kind of the snobbish, I-am-better-than-you nonsense that has permeated this country for the past couple of generations. But I have news for these people: if enough people end up hungry, homeless, out of work and so forth, and that attitude is still prevailing among the powers that be, the situation will be solved the same way it has been historically: by pitchforks and torches, or the modern equivalent thereof.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Doyu Shonin said...

Chards can take anything the weather here in Eugene has ever dished out.

OTOH, the lettuce ...

But the other day I had committed to make a homegrown salad and in the morning everything was covered with the worst kind of rime -- basically frozen fog that had drifted through all night, coating everything -- and only our second frost of the year; it was a humdinger.

In desperation I put lukewarm water in a clean watering can and watered off the ice from each plant I meant to cut from. The salad worked out! The leaves had suffered from some cell wall explosions, but didn't wilt completely; and everyone loved all the flavors, especially the kale.

11/26/2008 10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home