Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A restoration of faith

Yesterday I started a temp job. The job itself isn’t the greatest but it would be money. Would be, because it won’t work out. I discovered yesterday that instead of working around here they want me to drive 100 miles to and from. Um no, that is not going to work.

But this post isn’t about that. Yesterday on the way home from the training station I had a flat tire. There was a nail in the tire. I all ready wasn’t feeling well because I hadn’t had enough sleep and several bad things had happened, so this was not very good. To say the least. To make matters worse, I can’t get the wheel off because my car has wheel locks and I had no wheel key. (I did not even know the car had wheel locks until this.) So I go to the nearby tire repair shop to see if I can borrow a wheel key, promising to bring the wheel into them to repair. No die. They tell me they can’t do that and I’ll have to have the car towed in.

Um, yeah right. Thanks a lot, you (bleeped). So I go back and am trying to figure out how to break the lock when this older black gentleman pulls up in an old but very well-cared for car. He asks if he can help and I explain the problem. Well, this man drives a similar car and has a wheel key in his trunk. Not only that, but he’s an amateur mechanic and has a trunk full of tools. So, he gets the wheel off and then repairs it for me, right there in the service station parking lot. He fills it up and puts it back on and doesn’t charge me anything. Not all people are bad and selfish, even in these times. I knew that, but it helps to be reminded.
I’ve rarely seen anything quite like that. Some days, things just happen to restore my faith in humanity. That was one of them.
And, whomever you are that helped me, thank you. And Goddess bless.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jacques de Beaufort said...

hmmm

gives me hope

we're not all bad I guess.

11/11/2008 10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

followed from Astyk's blog - just wanted to commiserate and also point out that if you are unemployed SallieMae is deferrable/forebarance. Seek options!

11/12/2008 7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A true random act of kindness... pay it forward. It's a tale that keeps on giving, as it also fills the hearts of those who read of it. Thanks, ras, and thanks older gentleman.

11/14/2008 3:44 PM  
Blogger Doyu Shonin said...

This is SUCH a true story. I could tell twelve versions of it; and they have all happened to me or someone I know. People will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no people.

Or something like that.

11/26/2008 10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home