Monday, January 15, 2007

I have broccoli!

Or rather, I have broccoli seedlings. All eight of my flats have sprouted. It only took them a couple of days. That is just totally amazing. They are beautiful too. Each seedling looks identical to all the others at first glance, but they are really just a tiny bit different. The height, the size of the leaves, all differs from one to another. Every morning I rotate the greenhouse so that they get an even amount of sun on all sides, and the little seedling always bend to take in the light. It is an incredible, amazing thing to watch. Each day they grow a little taller, a little more sure of their place in the world. The true leaves haven’t appeared yet, but they are coming!

The flowers are sprouting too, but they are moving much more slowly. Only one has peaked far above the soil yet. It is tall and straight and slender, with pretty little seed leaves that are still curled up.

Watching new life enter the world is the most amazing and beautiful thing in all of existence.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the greenhouse tip! sounds like it is really working. I will have to put it on my wish-list for stuff I want to buy. I am trying to limit my consumption and spending and only buy things I really need or will add richness to my life - I think this fits the category if I can have homegrown broccoli :)

1/15/2007 9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home