Thursday, January 11, 2007

A New Phase of Life Begins...

A new phase of life began for me yesterday. I officially became a Master of Science candidate. Until yesterday I was taking prerequisites and the like, and had just been admitted. But yesterday I registered for graduate classes. I was terrified –my hands were shaking as I signed the paperwork –but I am also excited. A sure sign that you’re on the right path is when you’re completely terrified. I am worried about how to pay for it, but I will figure it out.

My seed order from Bountiful Gardens came in yesterday as well, along with a copy of How to Grow More Vegetables. I had to break my Compact vow to buy the book, but I haven’t been able to find a used copy, and I judged it important enough to bend the rules for that. I finished off the day by making homemade vegetarian chili and cornbread, with as much of the ingredients as possible coming from the local farmer’s market. That’s a far cry from the way I used to be.
I also have broccoli and some cold weather flowers planted in a greenhouse on my windowsill. They haven’t sprouted yet, but I am checking them every morning for signs. I am like a child on Christmas morning, running in here to check everyday!

I am slowly changing my lifestyle, one step at a time. Thanks to all of you who are sharing this journey with me!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am defending my doctorate in April! Grad school is kind of scary but very much worth it in the end. I have been really grateful for it.
How did you make your greenehouse? Is it part of your windowsill or outside entirely? I would love to try it.

1/12/2007 8:46 PM  
Blogger RAS said...

Hannah, the greenhouse was something I all ready had. It is one of those Jiffy ones, the kind they sell for about 4 dollars at Wal-mart. The greenhouse is actually sitting on the windowsill and the desk that's up against the window in a south facing window.
You should try it -its amazing watching them grow!

1/15/2007 8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home