Monday, December 22, 2008

My car died this morning

My car died this morning. In a flurry of smoke and sparks. I mean it is D-E-A-D, dead. Stick a fork in it. All it needs is a few shotgun holes in the side to complete the effect, which, if I was in the country, it would probably have at this point. (Discharging a gun within the city limits is illegal, which is stupid. If it’s my car and my gun, f*** off as far as I’m concerned.) It’s an old Oldsmobile, 18 with 110,000 miles on it. My last American car was a Ford and it too died at 18 with about the same number of miles on it. This is why I hate American cars: they are pieces of sh*t. I know at least thirty people with Japanese cars older than this one and at least twice the miles which are still running fine. I know one girl who has one (a Toyota I think, but I’m not sure) with over 400,000 miles on it and all she’s replaced is the transmission.

Oh, I could fix the car. But replacing the transmission alone would be a minimum of $1500 bucks and it has other problems. Like the massive oil leak, the bad shocks, the non-working heat, ac and defroster, and most of the electronics. The car is d-e-a-d. Now I have to figure out how to get to work this week…

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, most times the Jap cars are much better. Our Toyota has 150K miles on it, not a single problem yet (knock on wood). My dear old Cherokee though - a 1994 - has 250K on it - most major thing was the rear main seal about 4 years ago. It's one of the last made in the old AMC plant before Chrysler took over. American cars were good once.

12/23/2008 7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A dead car. Arrggh.

We're needing to turn our car back into creditors, as it is owned by our business that's gone belly-up.

We find ourselves actually contemplating renting one when we need it, because we both work at home, for the most part.

Mostly, I'm terrified that any car I get (that we can afford) will break down and cost huge sums to repair. And, being very dumb about car repair, I'm quite gun shy. A $1500 repair is a nightmare for me to consider...

12/28/2008 11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home