Tuesday, December 30, 2008

You're not that (bleep) special

I know I said that I would not post this week, but I have an axe to grind and some frustration to vent before I take it out on someone who does not deserve it. And no, the novel isn’t done yet.

Here is what I would like to say to all the New Age/Pagan/Wiccan/Progressive and even Christians who believe that everything we will becomes reality, that we can merely ‘think’ things into being, that the universe manifests your desires, the Lord will provide, or that The Secret works: get over yourselves. Now.

I am not saying that attitude is not important, or beliefs, or any of that. I am merely saying that the universe/God/whatever does not exist to help you out and fulfill your every whim. What brought this little rant on? The large number of people who, while trying to be helpful with my current transportation situation, have told me to help ‘think a car into being’ or ‘throw my desire and need into the universe and the universe will provide’ or a dozen similar iterations of such poppycock.

Let’s look at this for a moment. Let’s assume it works. Okay, the universe manifests anything you desire if you want it or need it badly enough. Okay, fine. Let’s run with that. Now, unless I have the statistics off (they are probably considerably higher than the last time I looked) 25,000 people died of starvation yesterday, and the day before, and the day before that. Another 20,000 died from dehydration or diseases stemming from dirty water. Countless thousands more were murdered, raped, tortured, all of the above, or had other unspeakable acts committed against them. A significant number of these were innocent children. Now, I’m assuming that every one of these people were fervently wishing/praying/hoping for food, water, or safety until the very end. I could be wrong, but hey, what do I know? Clearly, the universe did not manifest these things for them.

And yet, according to this theory, it will work for me. Here I sit, typing on a computer with internet access in the richest country in the history of the planet. I have a roof over my head (however tenuously), food in my belly, clean water to drink, even electricity. And the universe/God/whatever will provide me with a luxury like a car and not give a two-year-old a drink of water? I don’t think so.

What are we really saying here? That some people are better, more deserving, more worthy or special than others? Now we’re getting somewhere. Because if I am better than that two-year-old, or more worthy, or deserving, than of course the universe would prefer me to that baby.

Um, no. I don’t think so. Furthermore, I don’t have a right to so much as ask. Here’s a newsflash to all of those people above: You’re not that f**king special. Get over yourself.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Alexandra V. said...

Hear hear.

12/30/2008 5:49 PM  
Blogger MoonRaven said...

You're absolutely on target.

12/30/2008 8:18 PM  
Blogger Jacques de Beaufort said...

that "Secret" stuff is totally wack...
notice that people who espouse it, Oprah and her ilk, are extraordinarily blessed with good luck and timing. It never occurs to them that their asendency is anything less than some sort of cosmic fluke and that several people are just as talented and worthy for the sort of worldy gifts that have been bestowed upon them...surely they must be special...and surely they are willing shills of this flea brained notion.

f-that whole snake oil crew

but if your stupid enough to believe it....
hey I've got some great investments to sell you in financial services...

12/30/2008 11:34 PM  
Blogger Jerry said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1/08/2009 2:13 AM  
Blogger Jerry said...

I tend to feel more sorry for them but I certainly share your frustration.

1/08/2009 2:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home